Old-Time Fiddle Music
Friar the Fiddler
Battle of San Pasqual re-enactment
Larry Edwards, with Emma's Gut Bucket Band
Friar the Pirate Fiddler
Koehler Kraft Wooden Boat Festival
Currently fiddling with
- Heritage (fiddle tunes and songs of the 18th and early 19th centuries)
- Corps of Rediscovery (historical re-enactment, including songs and dance tunes of of the 18th & 19th centuries)
- Contra Notion (contra and square dance)
- F Group (old-time fiddle, bluegrass)
- various pick-up bands for paying gigs
- formerly with Pick of the Lizard, The More the Merrier, Curly Creek String Band, and others
- The Pandemic Sessions: New Tunes in the Old-time Style (mostly) (2021)
Companion Book and CD/Audio Tracks
For a sampling of the tunes, check out these YouTube videos, which feature tracks from the CD:
Fiddlin' Friar YouTube Video Channel
- Squirrel Heads & Gravy - Corps of Rediscovery with Corps of Rediscovery
- Walking in My Sleep, Pick of the Lizard, 2009
- Rockingham Cindy/Sugar Hill, Pick of the Lizard, 2009
- Hunting the Buffalo/Benton's Dream, The Usual Suspects, 2009
- Snake River Reel/Buck Mountain, The Usual Suspects, 2009
- Dinah/Sandy Boys, The Usual Suspects, 2009
- Clairemont Polka, aka Grandfather's Polka and Clarinet Polka, Emma's Gutbucket Band, 2009
- Spellbound Waltz played on Grandpa Edwards' fiddle; Spellbound Waltz copyright 2006, Larry M Edwards
- The Musical History Tour: Songs and Dance Tunes of the Early American Frontier, Heritage, fiddle, 2011
- The Mo' Beddah Band, fiddle
- Become as Little Children, Roger and Janice Maddy, bass, 1981
- Place of My Dreams, Roger and Janice Maddy, Voyager VRLP 324-S, bass, 1978
- Tenino Old Time Music Festival: 1975-1976-1977, Voyager Records, VRLP 321-S, LP, trk #A.08, bass
- This Is Loretta, Loretta Brank, Old Sounds, USR 8326, bass, 1975
- National Oldtime Fiddlers' Contest, Jesse Polka, Mark O'Connor, bass
The Pandemic Sessions
I've been fiddling since 1974, getting my start with the Washington Old Time Fiddlers Association and later joining the California Old Time Fiddlers Association, San Diego Chapter.
I made the annual pilgrimage to Weiser, Idaho, for the National Old Time Fiddlers' Contest for 16 years. Influential fiddlers: Benny Thomasson, Clark Kessinger, Dick Barrett, Tommy Jarrell, Cyrill Stinnett, Charlie Walden, Mark O'Connor, (Uncle) Gary Lee Moore, John Francis, Bob Shields, Kenneth Brank, Dan Levenson and many others, including a couple of fiddlers who don't receive enough recognition, Marc Rennard and Mark Tamsula.
I play an old fiddle (c. 1820, originally Baroque-style violin). It's something of an ugly duckling and violin appraisers, once they stop laughing, tell me it's a worthless piece of junk. But I like the way it sounds and that's all that matters to me.
I compose fiddle tunes when the muse awakens. The most popular of my tunes is "Manitoulin Thunder," which struck me during a vengeful thunder storm while my wife, Janis, and I were visiting our friend Ivan Harwood at his summer home on Manitoulin Island in Ontario, Canada.
I also pluck the doghouse bass and can manage basic chords on a guitar. Playing the bass, I recorded with Roger and Janice Maddy and the Curly Creek String Band as well as Loretta Brank and Mark O'Connor.
Copyright © 1994-, Larry M Edwards